PHI learning Pvt Ltd
|Number of Pages
Business & management
The fifth edition of Essentials of Strategic Management contains many new content topics plus updated data and illustrations. Older examples have been replaced with newer ones, information has been updated where appropriate. In addition, the following content topics have been added to the book:
• The natural physical environment to the discussion of the societal and task environments.
• Contrasted agency theory with stewardship theory in the section on corporate governance.
• Paragraphs on sustainability and moral relativism plus information on enterprise strategy and social capital to the section on social responsibilities and ethics.
• PESTEL analysis to environmental scanning.
• A discussion of brands to marketing resources.
• Replaced the section on advantages and limitations of portfolio analysis with a section on strategic alliance portfolio analysis.
• Open innovation to the discussion of RandD strategy.
• Purchasing and logistics strategies to functional strategies.
• Offshoring in the discussion of outsourcing.
• Real options to the discussion of risk.
• The concept of core rigidities in the discussion of the organizational life cycle.
• An explanation of integration managers to managing mergers and acquisitions.
Part I: Introduction to Strategic Management-Chapter 1. Basic Concepts of Strategic Management. Chapter 2. Corporate Governance and Social Responsibility.
Part II: Scanning the Environment-Chapter 3. Environmental Scanning and Industry Analysis. Chapter 4. Internal Scanning: Organizational Analysis.
Part III: Strategy Formulation-Chapter 5. Strategy Formulation: Situation Analysis and Business Strategy. Chapter 6. Strategy Formulation: Corporate Strategy. Chapter 7. Strategy Formulation: Functional Strategy and Strategic Choice.
Part IV: Strategy Implementation and Control-Chapter 8. Strategy Implementation: Organizing for Action. Chapter 9. Strategy Implementation: Staffing and Leading.Chapter 10. Evaluation and Control.
Part V: Introduction to Case Analysis-Chapter 11. Suggestions for Case Analysis.
Appendix 11.A: Suggested Techniques for Case Analysis and Presentation. Appendix 11.B: Resources for Case Research. Appendix 11.C: Strategic Audit of a Corporation.
About the Author: Hunger J David, L Wheelen Thomas
Saint Johnandrsquo;s University, Iowa State University
Formerly with University of Virginia, Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland