Availability: Out of Stock(Free Delivery)
|Number of Pages||284 Pages|
When Ashwin, a wealthy Delhi boy, meets Lallan, a struggling student from Patna looking to make his fortune, their friendship, with their mutual love for the almond-eyed Mallika, seems to transcend the fault lines of class and privilege.But one night at a party, a fateful incident leads their worlds to unravel with consequences that change both their lives forever, and expose the deep turmoil inherent in the frenetic energy of the new, aspiring India.An audacious debut, Fire Under Ash marks the arrival of Indian fiction’s latest star, who takes a coruscating look at Delhi’s beauty and brutality, writing the city as we’ve never read it before. Advance Praise
• “Most novelists know that it is very hard to write dialogue. Saskya Jain somehow makes it look easy. As a consequence you often feel that you are not reading but listening.”—Manu Joseph
• “Remarkable first novel--sharp, deeply moving and full of truth.—Mohammed Hanif Sales points
• A brilliant literary debut from a fresh new voice in Indian fiction.
• The author is already the recipient of two writing prizes
• Paints a sorely-needed portrait of contemporary Delhi, almost like a fiction companion to Rana Dasgupta’s Capital, evoking Aravind Adiga’s novels exploring New India.
Author Saskya Jain was born in Ahmedabad and grew up in New Delhi. Educated at Berlin’s Free University and at Columbia University, she holds an MFA in Fiction from Boston University, where she received the Florence Engel Randall Award and the Robert Pinsky Global Fellowship. Her writing has appeared in numerous literary magazines, and one of her stories was a finalist in the 2011 Asian-AmericanShort Story Contest. She lives in New Delhi and Berlin. Fire Under Ash is her first novel.