SAGE Publications Ltd
|Number of Pages
From Individual to Community brings together a set of papers that provides critical commentaries on various facets of the ongoing process of development. The book addresses issues that concern developing countries?such as globalization, economic growth, rural transformation, gender equality, educational reforms and the Dalit movement?from a multidisciplinary perspective.
Based on the theoretical framework of the normative principles, the book evaluates issues that are specifically relevant in the Indian context?rich versus poor, globalization versus sustainable development, and so on. Devoid of any ideological rigidity, this book is an unbiased exposition of the material as well as ideological positioning of globalization, development and change.
This book also commemorates the birth centenary of Professor Malcolm Adiseshiah, former Deputy Director General of UNESCO and a Padma Bhushan awardee, who was also founder of Madras Institute of Development Studies.
Table of Contents
3. Issues In Development Studies: An Overview R Maria Saleth And L Venkatachalam
4. Globalization: Its Portents For Indian Culture U R Ananthamurthy
5. Growth Of A Wasteland Amit Bhaduri
6. Whither The Indian Village Culture And Agriculture In ?Rural? India Dipankar Gupta
7. Gender Inequalities: Neglected Dimensions And Hidden Facets Bina Agarwal
8. Cultural Politics Of Environment And Development: The Indian Experience Amita Baviskar
9. State, Households And Markets In Education Jandhyala B G Tilak
10. Development As A Human Right Or As Political Largesse Upendra Baxi
11. The Power Of Uncertainty: Reflections On The Nature Of Transformational Initiatives Mihir Shah
12. Lineages Of Political Society Partha Chatterjee
13. The Politics Of Social Justice Pratap Bhanu Mehta