SAGE Publications Ltd
|Number of Pages
This training manual serves as a practical guide for adolescents, equipping them with the skills to face the present and future challenges of life effectively. It advocates and seeks active involvement of all sections of society-educational institutions, voluntary organisations, and civil society-in the holistic development and growth of adolescents into confident, responsible and productive citizens of the country. Some of the salient features of the manual are:
- Wide scope: The manual covers a wide range of life competencies for the holistic growth and development of adolescents
- Modular approach: Though the programme proposed by the manual is a holistic, comprehensive package, each module can also be used independently. The user agencies can, thus, choose any number of modules that are applicable for their target group.
- Ready-to-use format: The manual is inclusive in all aspects. It has notes for facilitators and other users, special exercises and instruments and step-by-step approach for the conduct of these exercises.
- Notes on the modules: The manual includes detailed notes on each module that cover wide-ranging sub-topics and issues.
- CD companion: The manual comes with a CD that contains all the exercises along with supplementary material.
Apart from the key users, who would be secondary schools and voluntary organisations working for adolescents, this manual will also serve as an insightful read for parents, adolescents themselves and professionals working in related fields.
[This book] is a training manual meant to train adolescents in developing certain skills and understand some important concepts which can help them in tiding over the rough patches of life in a smooth and dignified manner. It can be used by teachers, parents or trainers for planning workshops for teenagers on 12 different modules addressing issues such as interpersonal competencies, communication skills, stress management skills, developing self-esteem, etc. Each module includes a brief introduction, expected outcomes, a detailed point-wise explanation of the theme and exercises. Each exercise is further elaborated with information on materials required, steps to conduct exercise and time allocated for the exercise, making it a readymade support material for the trainer. A free CD accompanying the book makes the job of preparing PowerPoint presentations and taking printouts for group workshops even easier... The book fulfills a vacant niche and caters to an urgent and acutely felt yet apathetically ignored need of the Indian society...if these training ideas can be incorporated into our rigid school/college curricula to provide our adolescents some real and usable education, this book will fulfill its noble agenda.
About the Author
Devendra Agochiya has over three decades of rich and varied experience of working with national and international organizations engaged in the fields of youth and social development, training, empowerment and management. He has worked for about 12 years (1969-80), in senior professional positions, with an international NGO in New Delhi--International Youth Centre. He has worked for about 18 years with the Youth Affairs Division of the Commonwealth Secretariat--first as the Regional Director for Asia and then as Head of the Division based in London, the headquarters of the Secretariat. He has been actively associated with the planning and delivery of a wide range of training programmes for a variety of target groups, including policy makers, senior government and non-government officials, business executives and young people in India and other Commonwealth countries. He is presently working as a freelance consultant with a number of national and international agencies in training and development and related areas.