Vikas Publishing House
|Number of Pages
Biography: science, technology & engineering
The book Operating System by Rohit Khurana is an insightful work that elaborates on fundamentals as well as advanced topics of the discipline. It offers an in-depth coverage of concepts, design and functions of an operating system irrespective of the hardware used. With illustrations and examples the aim is to make the subject crystal clear and the book extremely student-friendly. The book caters to undergraduate students of most Indian universities, who would find subject matter highly informative and enriching. Tailored as a guide for self-paced learning, it equips budding system programmers with the right knowledge and expertise.
The book has been revised to keep pace with the latest technology and constantly revising syllabuses. Thus, this edition has become more comprehensive with the inclusion of several new topics. In addition, certain sections of the book have been thoroughly revised.
• Case studies of Unix, Linux and Windows to put theory concepts into practice
• A crisp summary for recapitulation with each chapter
• A glossary of technical terms
• Insightful questions and model test papers to prepare for the examinations
New in this Edition
• More types of operating system, like PC and mobile; Methods used for communication in client-server systems.
• New topics like: Thread library; Thread scheduling; Principles of concurrency, Precedence graph, Concurrency conditions and Sleeping barber problem; Structure of page tables, Demand segmentation and Cache memory organization; STREAMS; Disk attachment, Stable and tertiary storage, Record blocking and File sharing; Goals and principles of protection, Access control matrix, Revocation of access rights, Cryptography, Trusted systems, and Firewalls.