Wiley India Pvt Ltd
|Number of Pages
This book is a step-by-step guide for data base programming novices. It is intended to serve the needs of hobbyists downloading SQL Express for the first time, as well as advanced users such as an ISV intending to redistribute their application along with SQL Express. The step-by-step samples cover all the major scenarios the customer will face, from installation and development to debugging and deployment.
Table of contents :
Part I: Introduction and Concepts
· Getting Started with SQL Server 2005 Express Edition
· Database Basics with SQL Server Management Studio Express Edition
· Creating a Simple Database Application
Part II: Rich Database Applications Development with SQL Server Express
· Developing a Rich Client Database Application
· Developing a Rich Web Database Application
· Understanding Xcopy Deployment and User Instance Model
· Using XML in Your Database Application
· Debugging Database Applications
Part III: Setup and Deployment
· Understanding SQL Server Express Setup
· Deploying Your Application
· Migrating from Microsoft Desktop Engine (MSDE)
· Migrating from Jet and Microsoft Access to MSDE and SSE
Part IV: Developing Multi-User Applications
· Securing Your Multi-User Database Application.
· Upgrading from SSE to Other SQL Server 2005 Editions
· Building Robust Multi-User Database Applications
Appendix A: Exercise Answers
Market Description :
· Hobbyist developers, non-professional IT and students: Most of these users fall under the beginner/novice database developer category
· Independent Software Vendors (ISVs) can use SSE not only for production, but also for free demo software, evaluation editions, and low-end version of their enterprise software
· Enterprise developers can use the free SSE product in evaluation kits, samples, intranet, corporate in-house software, and also the low-end version of their enterprise projects
About Author :
Rajesh George has been a Microsoft program manager on the SQL Server team for the past 3 years, and has over seven years of industry experience. He is one of the founders of SQL Server Express ("SSE") project within Microsoft, and has been involved in most of the key design decisions. In addition to his SQL Server Express role he has been responsible for MSDE and various SQL components.
Lance Delano is a lead program manager at Microsoft in the Visual Studio team that is responsible for the developer's data experience. Lance was involved in the customer research that drove the Visual Studio side of the SSE program and is therefore intimately familiar with the benefits and technical details of SQL Server Express.