Vikas Publishing House
|Number of Pages
"It's all about the students," says Jack Berckemeyer, as he shows teachers that the amazing professional learning community called a team is just the tool for nurturing the academic, social, emotional, and developmental needs of students at any level.
Who else but Jack would compare a team of teachers to a group of unruly circus lions? He starts with downright true stories of the need for cracking the whip to tame his prime performers. And with sharp wit, he steps into the center ring and shines the spotlight on the practical details of building the consummate teaching team.
Jack brings a unique blend of humor, expertise, experience, surprise, and straight talk to share clear strategies for how to tame a team.
You'll laugh, catch your breath, and nod your head as you learn how to:
• create a team, nurture unity, and resolve conflicts (yes to making joint decisions, no to devouring dissenters)
• quit wasting team time; plan and conduct meetings where teachers really get something done (yes to eating brownies, no to correcting papers and making phone calls)
• set and keep consistent expectations for students • keep the focus of teamwork squarely where it belongs: on kids, curriculum, and professional development
• use his dynamic 3-5-3 action plan for improving student behavior
• connect curriculum, instruction, and calendar schedules
The comical but so-true asides and anecdotes will keep you hungering for the next chapter.