The book Unconventional Machining Processes offers an in-depth study on various unconventional machining processes. It aims to enable the students to understand the various unconventional machining processes, their advantages and applications in diverse areas of production and manufacturing such as tool room and die working, aerospace, nuclear and electronics industries.
Various unconventional machining processes discussed in this book are:
- Electrical Discharge Machining (EDM)
- Electro-Chemical Machining (ECM)
- Electro-Chemical Grinding (ECG)
- Electron Beam Machining (EBM)
- Laser Beam Machining (LBM)
- Plasma Arc Machining (PAM)
- Ultrasonic Machining (USM)
- Abrasive Jet Machining (AJM)
- Chemical Machining (CHM)
The need for these processes, methods of classifying them, how different energy sources are deployed, operating principles, process description and details of equipment used, mechanism of metal removal, their advantages and applications, MRR (Metal Removal Rate), accuracy and surface finish obtainable in these processes, and recent developments have been discussed in detail in this book.
Illustrations of actual applications from various industries have been given for easy and effective understanding of the subject matter. A comparison of all unconventional machining processes and their effect on surface integrity of work materials machined have also been discussed.
A large number of general review questions and multiple-choice test items are given for evaluating the learning of the students.
About the Author
M. Adithan B.E. (Hons.) in Mechanical Engg., M.Sc. Production Engg. from College of Engg., Guindy, University of Madras, obtained his Ph.D. in Mechanical Engg. from IIT, Madras in the area of ultrasonic machining. He has taught the course on Unconventional Machining Processes for several years at IIT, Madras; TTTI, Chandigarh; and VIT University, Vellore. He was a Visiting Professor in Manufacturing Engg. and Engg. Technology at Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah, USA, and at University of Technology, Malaysia. He was a UNESCO Fellow at Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, USA. He has published several research papers on ultrasonic drilling and on spark erosion machining in national and international journals.
Presently, he is Professor in Mechanical Engg. and Dean at VIT University, Vellore, Tamil Nadu.
Table of Contents
2. Electrical Discharge Machining
3. Electro-Chemical Machining (ECM)
4. Electron Beam Machining (EBM)
5. Ultrasonic Machining (USM)
6. Abrasive Jet Machining (AJM)
7. Chemical Machining (Chemilling) (CHM)
8. Comparison of Unconventional Machining Processes
9. General Review Questions in Unconventional Machining Processes
10. Objective Type Questions in Unconventional Machining Processes
Key to Objective Type Questions