|Number of Pages
For reasons varying from immigration patterns to changing demographics to increasing global business, coupled with the impact of technological innovations, the composition of today's workforce is more diverse. This book aims to provide interesting, accurate and timely readings, cases and exercises to help clarify the complexity of managing and working in a changing and increasingly diverse workplace.
Table of Contents
About the Authors
Section I: A FRAMEWORK FOR UNDERSTANDING INDIVIDUAL PERSPECTIVES OF DIVERSITY
Introduction to Section I
2. Redefining Diversity
3. I am...
4. Increasing Multicultural Understanding: Uncovering Stereotypes
5. Body Ritual Among the Nacirema
6. Exploring Diversity in Your Organization
7. The Emotional Connection of Distinguishing Differences and Conflict
8. White Privilege and Male Privilege: A Personal Account of Coming to See Correspondences Through Work in Women's Studies.
Section II: A FRAMEWORK FOR UNDERSTANDING SOCIAL IDENTITY PERSPECTIVES ON DIVERSITY
Introduction to Section II
9. Are African Americans Still Experiencing Racism?
10. Inventing Hispanics: A Diverse Minority Resists Being Labeled
11. To Be Asian in America
12. A World View of Cultural Diversity
13. Cultural Transmission Today: Sowell Revisited
14. Negotiating: The Top Ten Ways That Culture Can Effect Your Negotiation
15. Negotiations-BWA Discovers the Indonesian Way
16. Interpreting Intercultural Communication at a Business Meeting
17. How Canada Promotes Workplace Diversity
18. Women in the Workforce: How Far Have They Come?
19. Women in Leadership Positions
20. The Power of Talk: Who Gets Heard and Why
21. Is This Sexual Harassment
22. The Negative Consequences of Male Privilege
23. Does Social Class Make a Difference?
24. Social Class Diversity
25. Generational Diversity Scenarios in the For-Profit and Nonprofit Sectors
26. Organizational Innovations for Older Workers
27. Religion, Culture, and Management in the New Millennium
28. Religion and Work
29. Musical Chairs
30. The Employee Who Couldn't...
31. Progress and Backlash: Making Sense of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Issues in the Workplace
32. The Cracker Barrel Restaurants
33. Appearance and Weight Inclusion Issues in the Workplace
34. Choosing the Board
35. Media Messages
36. Being an Only: A Field Assignment
37. Diversity Challenges in Tomorrow's Organizations: The Symposium
Section III: A FRAMEWORK FOR UNDERSTANDING ORGANIZATIONAL DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
Introduction to Section III
39. The Inclusion Breakthrough: Unleashing the Real Power of Diversity
40. Responses to the Changing Work Force: Human Capital and Strategic Issues
41. The Ethics of Workplace Diversity
42. Ethics and Diversity: Applications in the Workplace
43. The Pitney Bowes Case: A Legacy of Diversity Management
44. What Happened at Coca-Cola?
45. The U.S. Air Force Academy: Organizational Culture and Diversity Issues
46. Fairfax Metropolitan Hospital: The Candidate
47. Evaluating Diversity and Inclusion in the Real World: Conducting a Diversity Audit
Section IV: RESOURCES FOR TEACHING AND LEARNING ABOUT DIVERSITY
48. Pre-Course Diversity Assessment
49. Pre Course-Checking Perceptions
50. Seeing and Valuing Diversity Issues Through Film
51. Post-Course Diversity Assessment
52. Post Course-Checking Perceptions